There are roughly twice as many of you (people who watch me on DeviantArt) as there were pre-dwarven helm, so I thought I'd take a moment to talk about who I am and what you can expect to see here. This entry will probably be stupidly long, because everything I write here seems to come out stupidly long. That is probably the first thing you should know. You are under no obligation to read my stupidly long descriptions or journals. Anything really important I try to put first or last, the long rambling middle bit is usually construction details for crochet nerds and whatever I had on my mind at the time.
Hi! My name is Susan. I was born in England but now I live in Oregon, on the West coast of the United States of America. I lived other places in between. I am 22. I have had a migraine for five years which makes it very hard for me to do anything at all, except crochet. So I spend pretty much all of my time crocheting. If I'm complaining about something, it's probably the migraine. Okay, it's definitely the migraine. Some days it's better and some days its worse, I often just refer to it as "the pain", so if I go on about how "the pain got too bad and I had to lie down for the rest of the day", that's what I'm talking about. I don't have arthritis and I'm not suffering from some kind of broken heart, it's just the migraine from hell that never ever stops. (That's what puts the "SadDays" in "SadDaysCrochet".)
I try to post things at least three days a week. The past month or so I have failed at this, but this was mostly because of holidays and the 10 minutes of internet fame my Dwarven Helm got (and of course the migraine). I plan to be back on schedule soon! I have many things in the works. The kinds of things you can expect to see here: Crochet Art
- this is the stuff in my featured gallery. It's mostly amigurumi, some clothing, hopefully more stop motion figures, props, costumes, and scenery soon. These are the things I'm proud of, and I try to post only the best pictures. Additional pictures are posted to my Facebook page ([link]
for people who want more views or WIP pictures.Comics
- These have a special folder in my gallery. I like making them and they help to show off the stop motion figures and sets I'm working on. I try to put them up Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. I'm not going to say they're very good, and I figure most of you won't be interested in reading them. It will be obvious in your message feed when a post is a comic, so if you like the comics check it out and if you don't ignore it. Yay!Concept Art
- So far this is character designs, but there will probably be more of this some day. When I work in 2D I use vector programs, and I can be pretty good with them, but most of the concept art is quick stuff to get down an idea. There's a folder in my gallery somewhere... Mad Science and WIP
- This stuff goes in my scraps folder. The nice thing about scraps is you can pick whether you want to see it or not! The less nice thing about scraps is that it's easy to forget they exist. I use my scraps folder a lot to post Work In Progress pictures, pictures of things that didn't work out, and pictures of stupid things I made that I don't feel are good enough for my main gallery. The pictures aren't as good quality as in my main gallery and the content is often only interesting if you're into crochet (or stop motion). Also I tend to have even longer descriptions - I know you didn't think that was possible, but it is. Stop Motion Animation
- My major project right now is developing a way of making stop motion figures in crochet. I have one figure complete and have plans for many more as well as props and scenery. I will be putting together some stop motion animations to demonstrate these things, but my goal is not to become an animator but to be a figure maker, so the quality will probably be pretty poor. I will post these to my YouTube account ([link]
, but link them in journals here so you can all know about them.Tutorials and Patterns
- I intend to start tutorials soon, and start learning how to make patterns properly so I can make those too. Tutorials will be free and posted to my YouTube account, and patterns will cost money and be posted in my Etsy store ([link]
. I will post the videos in journal entries here too though, and advertise the patterns as soon as they become available.
I am working improve my skill set and technique, as well as to build up my portfolio. My plans are 1) to become better at crochet than anyone has ever been, and 2) to get a job making crochet figures for stop motion films and maybe do some free-lance crochet prop construction for theatre and film. We'll see how all of that goes for me... In the mean time I am not taking commissions because I have a million plans of things I need to try and thanks to my loving parents I do not have any rent that needs paying.
I also co-founded a group here for nature-inspired amigurumi art-
- we are having a January contest! The theme is Winter, and you can win some stuff I made if you enter!If this is not your social medium of choice, feel free to check out SadDaysCrochet on Facebook: [link] Tumblr: [link] Etsy: [link] and YouTube: [link] I also plan to get a website of my own soon.
If I end up making another dwarven helm, I will put it on Ebay and tell everyone in the world about it so you can bid on it.